Thursday night at 8 pm, we were admitted to labor and delivery to begin the process. When I went to the doctor this past Monday, the doctor asked if I would be willing to begin induction at the end of the week. She felt that Gracelynn was more than ready to come and because of her size it would be wise not to wait too much longer. I couldn't agree more! I was more than ready to meet my little girl.
Because of how much I had progressed the doctor wanted me to come in Thursday night for them to give me Cervadil, which is supposed to aid in dilation and effacement. They gave me that, told me I could eat until midnight, and to try and get some rest. They monitored her heart rate and my contractions all night long and had me hooked up to an IV (Thank goodness, they only had to stick me once!!!). Only problem with that...everytime I had to go to the bathroom they had to come in and and unhook me. Also, everytime I would shift in my sleep, the monitors would get messed up and they would come in to adjust. Needless to say, it wasn't a super restful night. At about 5 am, I woke up with contractions that I wasn't able to sleep through. Nothing horrible, but they were definitely getting stronger and much closer together.
At about 7:30, they came in and started to prepare me for Pitocin. I had heard from many, my doctor included, that Pitocin induced contractions can be quite painful, pretty quick. At 7:42, my doctor came in to see me and broke my water. Talk about a weird experience. However, within about 10 minutes, due to my water being broken and the Pitocin, my contractions were pretty hard. My mom and Ben laughed because the only way you could tell that I was in pain or that a contraction would start was because I would start to flex and wiggle my toes. The nurses and doctor told me that an epidural was mine, anytime I wanted it...just to say the word. At about 8:30, I did. The anethestisiologist came in and I must say that was an experience. It wasn't the most pleasant or painfree experience, but well worth it. My legs were pretty much completely numb! But it made the process much more enjoyable at the time.
At about 10 o'clock they came in to check me and I hadn't dilated anymore. Talk about a bummer! I was really beginning to get worried that there would have to be additional interventions to get this baby here. However at 11 when they came in to check me I was at a 4 and 80% effaced. Whew...progress was being made. At this point, we figured it would be several more hours before we were anywhere to close to pushing.
that very second I went to a 10, 100% effaced and the baby was RIGHT THERE! They got theAt noon the came in to check me and I was at an 8, however the baby was still at 0 station...not nearly low enough to be ready to push. Ben went out to the lobby to get the food his parents had brought him while the nurses helped me shift positions. Literally, when they shifted positions, doctor in the room (who was about to go into a scheduled c-section) and the motion in the room picked up about 200%. It was crazy, they were putting oxygen on me, pulling the bed apart, pushing in equipment. We went from having 3-4 people in the room to about 9 or 10. The doctor started suiting up and asked "where is the daddy". Um, hello! He hadn't come back in yet. My mom rushed out to find him and found that he had been trapped in the waiting room. The receptionist desk wasn't staffed at the time and no one was answering the phone in the lobby. He finally got in and rushed back to the room.
When he got there he took his place by my side and they began explaining that we needed to get her out asap. Everytime I had a contraction her heart rate would drop significantly, and they were worried that if I had to push long it would potentialy cause problems. Well, God must have been listening, because 3 pushes later, she was here. At that moment I stared in disbelief as they laid this beautiful little life on my tummy. She screamed the second she came out and let us know for a good 30 minutes that she was none too pleased with being forced out of her warm little haven.
Gracelynn DeAnne Weyrauch was born at 12:37 pm on Friday, August 17th. She weighed 8 pounds and was 21 inches long. She scored great on her APGAR and is doing wonderful at eating. She has even had 3 dirty diapers...which I am told is quite the achievement in the first 24 hours! Imagine, being that good at going poop! She is absolutely gorgeous (I am not biased or anything), and just gets more and more beautiful with each passing moment.
We are all doing great. Ben and I have gotten (a little) sleep, and we are definitely getting down the whole, feeding, sleeping, diaper changing routine. I am still in such shock and awe that we are parents, but it feels so natural at the same time. I can't imagine being more in love with anything in the world.
Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure. There will be many more to come.
There are many more to come. We will keep you updated.
Love,
Ben, Amber and the newest baby on the block, Gracelynn.
5 comments:
Oh YAY!! She's finally here and She's beautiful. I cried all the way through reading your post. I honestly had to fight myself from looking at the pictures first. I wanted to read every detail and then look. Wow! Amber I am so proud of you. Congrats. I love and miss you. Ya'll are such a cute family. We will be praying for a smooth transition to home. I will wait to call until later in the week.
Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you guys! Gracelynn is so beautiful! Amber, you did SO awesome! I’m sure it was a scary moment when they said her heartbeat was dipping, but you were strong and did a spectacular job. God is so good! You guys look like naturals at being parents…it looks so right in the pictures. God has blessed you both with the best gift in the world – there is nothing like being a parent and the unconditional love you feel for your little baby. I can’t wait to see more pictures and hear more updates! =)
Love and Miss you like crazy!
Geez, about time...congratulations! Now that the easy part is done, you can get down to business staying awake at all hours and changing diapers and cleaning up spit up. ;) Good to see who Mindy calls "Luke's future wife" has joined us. She's cute, I guess she doesn't look like Ben...
Wow, Jacqui and I have a lot in common - I also cried through your blog! =)....I am so incredibly happy for you both, she is the most incredibly little baby girl!! Congratulations!!! She is a big, beautiful, and thriving baby - you did awesome! I cannot wait to see more pictures!!!
hooray! she is here. you two seem to have done pretty super.
Post a Comment